Inspiral's Spiral

What goes around comes around.

Wednesday, October 13, 2004

Lizards - delivered to your door!

I was just driving over to my parents place when I turned a corner and there in the middle of the road was a bearded dragon lizard. (Anyone who knows me will already be famililar with my frequent wildlife rescues and here is another for the list.) Apart from the obvious danger of the lizard being run over it was also being harrased by a magpie. I couldn't leave it there so I picked it up and took it with me to my parents place. They have 2 acres and plenty of room for the lizard to roam free and safe.

While turning the corner into my parents street I saw another bearded dragon lizard in the same predicament as the first. So after placing the first lizard in a nice spot near the dam we walked up the footpath till we found the second lizard. I carried it back to my parents place and put it in their backyard too.

Mum and Dad weren't home at the time so I better tell them their place is being used as a safe haven for bearded dragons.

4 Comments:

  • At 8:16 pm, Blogger MuzeKez said…

    How did you catch them?! They move so fast! I went to one of the local parks the other day where there are heaps of bearded dragons so I could film them for a university assignment. Heehee, I'll have to show you some of the footage I got because I chased one to make it move (they weren't being good filming subjects as they were sitting still) and it took a leap into the creek! Funny stuff. :-) I made sure to apologise to him afterwards though.

    Good on you for rescuing two of 'em, however you managed it! They are beautiful creatures. :-)

     
  • At 6:21 am, Blogger Inspiral said…

    When I got close to them they crouched down and lay completely still. Like when in Jurassic Park when Sam Neill said to stay still, their vision is based on movement! Ha ha. They must think that if they stay still I'll lose them and they'll be okay. Made it easy as to pick them up! I held them by the tail, close to their body for a little bit then when they stopped running in mid-air I put my hand under their tummy. They seemed pretty relaxed then and let me rub their backs and under their necks. It was pretty cool!

     
  • At 9:26 pm, Blogger Hugh said…

    This post reminds me of when there was a baby crow, earlier this year, disoriented on my back balcony. I fed it peas. I will have to post about it one day I think.

     
  • At 8:52 am, Blogger Pickwick said…

    Ooh, I'd love to pick up a bearded lizard, but suspect I'd be too much of a fraidy cat! I'm not so comfortable with wildlife as I am with domesticated animals. *Pickwick is admiring of Inspiral's skill*

     

Post a Comment

<< Home